When: Friday, June 6th, 6-8pm
Where: 826 Valencia Writing Lab
What else: Readings, signings, milk and cookies, general jubilation!
You are invited to join us in the Writing Lab at 826 Valencia to celebrate the publication launch of our latest volume of the 826 Quarterly, an anthology of the best student writing to come out of our free student writing programs each semester. Published twice yearly (*at least), the review collects news articles, short stories, poems, plays, personal essays and monologues that capture the overwhelming curiosity and unique expression of our young writers’ minds.
- News reporting on the Epidemic of Hipsters and Malala Yousafzai’s influence on women’s education
- Poetic explorations of the moment before death and the splendor of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
- Short fiction contemplating the meaning of art and Selfies
- Personal essays about gender identification and racism in America
- Gems of creativity from our youngest writers, 3rd and 4th graders, about a monster who hates to be a monster, the politics of electing a king of the zoo animals, and the endless possibilities presented by portals to other worlds.
Charmingly illustrated by Eda Kaban, and designed by Christine Herrin, with a foreword by poet Matthew Zapruder, the book will be for sale at a special discounted price, available in the Pirate Supply Store.