“The best part was being surrounded by the kids’ endless enthusiasm and energy. When they were writing something they cared about, running around at recess, or exploring the Exploratorium, it was a wonder to behold.” —2016 Summer Educational Programming Intern
“[The best part of my intern experience was] my co-interns. These intelligent, bright, creative, kind souls are some of the best people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing and working with, and 826 creates an environment where we can all thrive together and bond like a real team.” —2016 Summer Educational Programming Intern
Our summer programs provide students with opportunities to explore their creativity and leadership through high-energy, hands-on curriculum every day of the week. As an 826 Valencia Summer Educational Programming intern, you and your cohort will have the unique opportunity to help develop and lead this curriculum under the guidance of and with support from 826 staff. Whether you’re taking students to a cow-eye dissection at San Francisco’s Exploratorium, teaching them to make ice cream with their own hands and then write poems about it, coaching them to interview a renowned author or perform their own monologues, you’ll be an integral part of this tight-knit community of discovery and growth. It’s a super rewarding, high-energy, educational experience.
Summer interns will also have the opportunity to learn about careers in fundraising, publicity, events, and public education. Interest in a career in education and/or nonprofit management is not required, but it would make this internship a great fit.
- Familiarity with and enthusiasm for 826 Valencia’s mission
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with kids in a professional setting is a plus
- Editing/proofreading experience preferred
- Candidates proficient in Spanish will be given priority
- Minimum of 30 hours per week commitment
- Hours: approx. 8:30am-4pm, Monday-Friday
- Location: San Francisco, CA
- Ideal start/end dates: May 30, 2017 through July 21, 2017, with the option of staying through until August 11.
- Fill out this form.
- Email your resume, cover letter, and two references (contact info only) to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “[Your last name] Summer Internship Application” by March 24, 2017. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
As an organization committed to encouraging youth in their creative expression, personal growth, and academic success, 826 Valencia recognizes the importance of diversity at all levels and in all aspects of our work. In order to build and maintain the safe, supportive environment in which great leaps of learning occur, we commit to inclusion: We will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, nationality, marital status, English fluency, parental status, military service or disability. Read the full 826 Stand on diversity and inclusion.