Are you a passionate future educator? 826 Valencia is on the look-out for motivated interns to accompany our students as they venture out into the literary world this summer! Interest in a career in education and nonprofit management is not required, but candidates with these traits would make a great fit.
Spend your summer working closely with San Francisco youth in a bustling educational nonprofit, while also learning all the ins and outs of program management. Our programs provide students opportunities to explore their creativity and develop leadership skills through high-energy, hands-on curriculum. As a summer intern, you and your cohort will support 826 students as they brainstorm, write, and edit a myriad of stories in a fun environment.
Whether you’re taking students to a cow-eye dissection at the Exploratorium, teaching them how to make ice cream and write about it, coaching them to interview a renowned author or perform monologues, you’ll be a vital part of this community of discovery and growth.
- Familiarity with and enthusiasm for 826 Valencia’s mission
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with kids in a professional setting is a plus
- Editing/proofreading experience preferred
- Spanish speakers (any level) encouraged to apply
Perks of being an 826 Valencia intern:
- Professional development in an exciting educational nonprofit
- Hands-on experience working with students
- A network of fantastic educators, students, colleagues, fellow interns, and humans to support your growth and learning
- A fast-paced environment that values wonder and creativity
- Confidence in your youth development skills: tutoring, relationship building, problem-solving, and patience
- Trainings in youth behavior including Navigating Learning Needs and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- 15% discount at the Pirate Store and King Carl’s Emporium
- Immeasurable joy
- Hours: approx. 9 a.m. – 2 p.m., Monday-Friday; commitment of 20 hrs per week
- Unpaid (travel stipends available depending on need and availability)
- Ideal start/end dates: June 11 – August 3, with the option of staying until August 17, 2018.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Fill out this form here.
- Email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 30, 2018. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
As an organization committed to encouraging youth in their creative expression, personal growth, and academic success, 826 Valencia recognizes the importance of diversity at all levels and in all aspects of our work. In order to build and maintain the safe, supportive environment in which great leaps of learning occur, we commit to inclusion: We will not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, nationality, marital status, English fluency, parental status, military service or disability. Read the full 826 Stand on diversity and inclusion.