AmeriCorps*VISTA Assignment Description (VAD)
VISTA Project: 826 National
Site Name: 826Valencia
Assignment Area: Development, San Francisco, CA
Date: 8/8/2014 – 8/7/2015
Goal: 826 National will work with AmeriCorps*VISTA members to build the organization’s capacity to serve under-resourced students in San Francisco by supporting development. To serve the growing number of economically disadvantaged students in the community and provide excellent educational programming free of charge, 826 Valencia’s VISTA project will expand the reach of the organization and ensure its sustainability by supporting the fundraising efforts of the development staff. This is particularly important as we extend our services into a new neighborhood.
The Development Assistant with will work closely with 826 Valencia development team to:
Increase effectiveness of membership program
- Coordinate donor benefits including cultivation events.
- Support renewal cycle, including direct mail, email, and telephone follow up.
- Maintain donor stewardship through special mailers, invitation, and gifts.
- Write and produce transmittal letters that acknowledge donor contributions.
- Publicize individual giving program by updating website, blog, and including information in 826 Valencia’s newsletters and social media.
- Track effectiveness of individual giving program, using data about donations as related to events, publicity, and outreach.
Identify and cultivate new sources of funding
- Identify, research, and submit proposals to potential foundation or corporate supporters under the guidance of the Grants Director.
- Maintain database tracking for all current and pending sources of funding, and explore new methods of tracking funding and analyzing data.
- Process gifts and generate correspondence with organization funders.
- Schedule and prepare development staff for funder site visits.
- Contribute information and insights to direct mail campaigns and annual report.
Strengthen Donor Tracking System
- Integrate gift processing with Salesforce.
- Create and test report templates for most used inquiries.
- Input potential donors and community partners into Salesforce.
- Track communication with funders in Salesforce.
- Establish campaigns for initiatives including events and appeals.
Provide for the sustainability of the project
- Prepare training materials for 826 Valencia staff for Shipmate’s Society.
- Introduce staff in person or by emailing to contacts. Input all contacts in Salesforce.
- Provide training in using Salesforce for fundraising purposes.
(*** We’re experiencing a technical difficulty! Please be advised that when you visit the AmeriCorps job listing to submit your application for Development Assistant, you will see there a different job description that involves educational programming and curriculum development. Despite the discrepancy, please still use the link on that page to submit your application through AmeriCorps, and please note in your application that you are applying for the position of Development Assistant. Thank you for your patience!)
The deadline to apply is Wednesday, June 4, 2014. Please, no phone calls.