REPORTS TO: Director of Volunteer Engagement
HOURS: Monday-Friday 9-5:30, with some flexibility, evenings and weekends as needed.
SALARY: $40,000-45,000 depending on experience
WHO WE ARE
826 Valencia is an award winning nonprofit dedicated to supporting under-resourced students ages six to eighteen with their creative and expository writing skills and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our co-founders, educator Nínive Calegari and author Dave Eggers, won the Jefferson Award in 2016 based on the model they developed, and our work has inspired over forty like-minded organizations worldwide.
826 Valencia is a highly collaborative, bustling work environment full of passionate professionals who strive to create programs that transform our students’ relationships to writing, and to build an inclusive community that meets the needs and reflects the diverse backgrounds of our students.
Volunteers and interns are the lifeblood of 826 Valencia. The Intern Coordinator coordinates 826 Valencia’s internship and service learning programs, leveraging a community of caring adults in the San Francisco Bay Area to provide individualized attention to our students and help them build the confidence, pride, skills, and creativity that will lead to future success. The Intern Coordinator recruits, hires, trains, places, and supports interns and service learners to help them develop professionally and provide quality programs to our students. Ultimately, the Intern Coordinator will inspire people to get involved, learn, and make a difference.
The Intern Coordinator reports to the Director of Volunteer Engagement of 826 Valencia.
With the support of the Director of Volunteer Engagement, the Intern Coordinator will:
- Develop and implement goals and objectives for the intern and service learning programs which reflect the mission of the organization and meet program demands; measure progress toward these goals on an ongoing basis to ensure that all programs are sufficiently staffed and intern/service learner satisfaction remains high.
- Recruit, screen, and orient interns and service learners, with a focus on diversifying the volunteer base.
- Work with all staff to provide adequate onboarding and professional development opportunities.
- Maintain the intern and service learner accounts in the Salesforce database; run reports as needed.
- Coordinate opportunities to steward and celebrate interns and service learners so that they feel appreciated and energized by our work, including planning and executing volunteer appreciation events and celebrations.
- Initiate and steward partnerships with universities and other groups to increase our pool of interns and service learners.
- Work closely with the Director of Volunteer Engagement to facilitate service learning orientations.
- Solicit, accept and evaluate service learning proposals from university instructors; offer guidance and feedback on related curriculum.
- Meet all deadlines.
- Attend staff meetings, the annual 826 National conference, and other professional development workshops.
- Work collaboratively with all staff members to ensure robust programming.
- All other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Education and experience requirements
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in non-profit management and/or program development
- 1-2 years of experience screening and placing employees, volunteers, or other transferable skills
Required skills and abilities
- Advanced organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Program planning and execution.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Ability to monitor, analyze, consult and report on programs and services.
- Excellent command of English language and grammar, both verbal and written.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – a cheerful attitude and a sense of humor is a must.
- Proficient with computer applications – a thorough understanding of the Microsoft Office suite and the ability to learn and master other computer technology/software programs as needed.
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population and a variety of stakeholders and audiences.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Committed to young people, their families, and the mission of 826 Valencia.
- Experience with Salesforce, ExCel, and MailChimp.
826 Valencia is an equal opportunity employer committed to achieving a diverse and inclusive workforce. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply. 826 Valencia does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, sexual orientation, political orientation, disability, veteran status, or gender identity or expression.