Summer at 826
School might be out for the summer, but the learning doesn’t stop at 826 Valencia. We offer two main summer programs and an array of specialized workshops to keep students’ brains humming.
June – August
We offer a selection of evening and weekend workshops during the summer months for students ages 8–11, 11–14, and 14–18. As always, workshops are free and open to all. Keep your eye on our calendar for upcoming workshops, because they do tend to fill up quickly during the summer. For more information and a general FAQ about workshops, please visit our workshops page.
Exploring Words Summer Camp
For current 826 Valencia students entering grades 3 – 8
June 12 – July 31
Our six-week summer writing program is open to rising 3rd through 5th graders who are currently enrolled in 826 Valencia’s After-School Tutoring program or in our BVHM Annex. The camp runs Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m.–3:00 p.m. and provides a creative writing and science exploration experience through reading, writing, and hands-on activities. The 2017 camp is offered in partnership with the Jamestown Community Center and the Exploratorium. Throughout the camp students conduct science experiments, craft short stories and poetry material for a chapbook, and write with the one-on-one support of tutors. At the end of the six weeks, students have developed a portfolio of their work.
In the summer of 2016, we also piloted a five-week summer program for our middle school students, Emerging Leadership Summer Camp, in partnership with the Exploratorium. This group of students will focus on leadership development as well as science and writing. Their work during the camp culminates in an end-product of a published chapbook.
Exploring Words is open to:
- Students in grades 3 – 5 who are currently enrolled in 826 Valencia’s after-school programs
- Space permitting, students who are not currently enrolled in 826 programs will be admitted off a waitlist, with priority going to those who attend one of our partner schools and have financial need. To be added to the waitlist, please fill out this form.
Contact Christina Perry at email@example.com with questions about this program.
The Young Authors’ Workshop
Open to all students entering grades 10 – 12
July 31 – August 11
Each summer, 826 Valencia hosts its annual Young Authors’ Workshop (YAW), a two-week intensive writing camp for students entering grades ten through twelve. This is a great opportunity for students to team up and, with the support of professional writers, poets, and spoken word artists, craft amazing work. The camp is open to twenty-five students who are excited to embark on a transformative journey as they develop their literary voices. We do generally have more interest in the program than we have space, and preference will be given to students attending SFUSD high schools.
YAW is open to:
- Enthusiastic young people entering grades 10 through 12
- Students excited to participate in a creative and supportive community of peers
- Students who find writing a challenging task and are interested in developing their writing skills
- Students from all over the Bay Area, though priority is given the students enrolled in SFUSD schools.
We are now accepting applications for the 2017 Young Authors’ Workshop! Apply here by May 19.