Thank you for your interest in joining our staff at 826 Valencia. The position of Program Manager has been filled as of July 2014. Please see other opportunities to get involved here.
POSITION: Program Manager for 826 Valencia at Buena Vista Horace Mann K-8
REPORTS TO: In-Schools Director
SUPERVISES: Assistant, interns, and volunteers
HOURS: 10:00 – 6:30 with evenings and weekends as required
SALARY: Commensurate with experience
The Program Manager directs a daily writing support program for third, fourth, and fifth grade English Language Learners at Buena Vista Horace Mann K-8 (BVHM). The goal of the program is to boost student achievement through alignment to the school day, individualized tutor attention, and creative writing exercises.
The Program Manager reports to the In Schools Director of 826 Valencia. The Program Manager manages a program assistant and volunteers.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Designing daily lessons for three groups of students (third, fourth, and fifth graders) who attend the afterschool program at BVHM. The daily lessons will be aligned with the Common Core Standards as identified through the SFUSD Scope and Sequence.
- Attending teacher planning meetings to improve alignment and communication.
- Tracking attendance and snacks in accordance with ExCel afterschool grant requirements.
- Developing academic growth plans for students and monitoring their growth, in conjunction with school staff and volunteers.
- Building relationships with SFUSD administrators, teachers, and students and serving as the liaison to all BVHM staff about student progress.
- Coordinating program evaluation as part of the programs team.
- Recruiting, supporting, and providing training for volunteers for effective student support.
- Supervising interns effectively and supporting their professional development.
- Managing two student publications per year and adhering to timelines.
- Communicating with parents as partners in the students’ education.
- Communicating regularly with the Executive Director about plans and being responsive to guidance provided.
- Attend staff meetings and meet all deadlines.
- Attend National Conference and other professional development workshops/conferences/seminars, etc.
- Update relevant sections of the 826 Valencia website and publication materials.
- Work well as a team and collaborate with all staff members to ensure robust services.
- All other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree
- Teaching Credential, English and/or Elementary Education, with CLAD certification
- At least five years of teaching experience
- Demonstrated ability to improve student achievement
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent command of English language and grammar, both verbal and written
- Excellent classroom and behavior management skills, with proven ability to command groups of students
- Experience developing and administering curriculum for elementary-aged children
- Excellent interpersonal skills – a cheerful attitude and a sense of humor is a must
- Proficient with computer applications – a thorough understanding of the Microsoft Office suite and the ability to learn and master other computer technology/software programs as needed
- Experience managing staff and/or volunteers
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population and a variety of stakeholders and audiences
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with others, both internally and externally, to achieve the goals of the organization
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness
- Advanced organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks
WORKING CONDITIONS AND ENVIRONMENT
This full-time position is located at the 826 Valencia office at 826 Valencia Street, San Francisco, CA and at Buena Vista Horace Mann School. Occasional long hours required to meet deadlines or to assist with organization activities.
This position will begin on July 21, 2014. Applications are due by July 1, 2014. To apply, please send your cover letter, resume, and a relevant writing sample to email@example.com with the subject line: Program Manager.