POSITION: Store Staff Team Member
REPORTS TO: Stores Manager
SUPERVISES: Assigned Volunteers
STATUS: Hourly, Non-Exempt
HOURS: Part-time; typically, two to four shifts per week (7 hours per shift)
SALARY: Minimum Wage
TO APPLY: Please (1) fill out the application here, and (2) send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include ‘Store Staff’ in the subject line. Position open until filled.
WHO WE ARE
826 Valencia is an award-winning nonprofit dedicated to supporting under-resourced students ages six to eighteen with their creative and expository writing skills and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our co-founders, educator Nínive Calegari and author Dave Eggers, won the Jefferson Award in 2016 based on the model they developed, and our work has inspired over forty like-minded organizations worldwide.
826 Valencia is a highly collaborative, bustling work environment full of passionate professionals who strive to create programs that transform our students’ relationships to writing, and to build an inclusive community that meets the needs and reflects the diverse backgrounds of our students.
826 Valencia is seeking adventurous crew members to greet and welcome all who seek premium exploring supplies and/or tutoring and writing services. Under the direction of the Captain (Stores Manager), store staff work to provide a transformative, memorable experience to a diverse population of community members and travelers alike. To excel aboard the S.S. 826, one must possess excellent humor and grace in balancing simultaneous demands, such as scowling at customers while applying temporary tattoos (or removing them). In addition, the 826 Valencia deckhands serve as the front-of-house reception for the organization as a whole, and as such are expected to maintain a professional demeanor (i.e. regular beard maintenance and scurvy prevention) and stay reasonably informed of organizational events and services in order to field inquiries and requests from prospective volunteers, parents, students, or pirates. Store staff will work at either 826 Valencia’s Mission Center in the Pirate Supply Store, or our new Tenderloin Center in King Carl’s Emporium.
Responsibilities and reporting relationships
All Store Staff report to the Stores Manager.
- Customer service and outreach: creates a welcoming, whimsical experience for all the individuals and families we serve.
- Provides knowledgeable and helpful service to families and patrons seeking information about our programs and work; knows how to best refer individuals seeking further information.
- Manages register; handles till and register receipts.
- Maintains and processes store inventory from stocking the shelves to quarterly counts.
- Maintains health of the fish tank—immediately reports any problems to Aquavision and Stores Manager.
- Reports any problems with store facilities, equipment, or customer service issue to Stores Manager.
- Other duties as assigned by the Stores Manager. Duties often include developing new designs for products and displays, social media management, and event support.
Experience and education requirements
Our ideal store staff candidate will possess the following skills and background.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
- Experience in retail, customer service and/or visual merchandising
- A wide variety of artistic experience could include: Adobe Creative Suite, window display installation, power drill/tools and fix-it skills, product development
- Conversational Spanish, Mandarin, Arabic, Tagalog, or other languages
- Weekend and holiday availability/flexibility
- Passion for education and working with children
Mandatory Job Qualifications:
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
826 Valencia is an equal opportunity employer committed to achieving a diverse and inclusive workforce. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply. 826 Valencia does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, sexual orientation, political orientation, disability, veteran status, or gender identity or expression.