The Program Coordinator (PC) is responsible for supporting the 826 Valencia organization in planning, executing, monitoring and analyzing educational programs. The PC is responsible for coordinating and implementing educational programs for the Tenderloin Center. The PC will support all Tenderloin Center programs as needed.
The Program Coordinator reports to the Tenderloin Center Programs Manager of 826 Valencia.
In conjunction with the Programs Manager, the Program Coordinator will:
- Oversee assigned daily program operations for after-school writing program and/or field trip program.
- Coordinate, monitor, and/or supervise the activities of assigned volunteers and interns.
- Collaborate with the Programs Manager and partners to develop engaging, relevant writing activities and projects.
- Manage daily volunteer attendance, relationships, and communication to ensure sufficient volunteer numbers.
- Facilitate quality interactions between students of various ability levels and volunteers from a wide range of backgrounds and experience levels.
- Collect and maintain up-to-date student files to track progress.
- Collaborate with the Programs Manager to manage the writing, editing, publication, and production of books that result from the writing programs and help coordinate book release reading celebrations.
- Support all Tenderloin Center programs and events as needed.
- Attend staff meetings, annual 826 National conference, and other professional development workshops.
- Meet all deadlines.
- Work collaboratively with all staff members to ensure robust programming.
- All other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
Education and experience requirements
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in program development and project-based learning
- Minimum of 2 years of experience working with a diverse group of youth, ages 6-18
Required skills and abilities
- Knowledge of and experience implementing research-based curriculum.
- Advanced organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks.
- Working knowledge of program development and design
- Ability to work independently as well as to function effectively and collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to monitor, analyze, consult and report on programs and services.
- Excellent command of English language and grammar, both verbal and written.
- Excellent interpersonal skills – a cheerful attitude and a sense of humor is a must.
- Proficient with computer applications – a thorough understanding of the Microsoft Office suite and the ability to learn and master other computer technology/software programs as needed.
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population and a variety of stakeholders and audiences.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Committed to young people, their families, and the mission of 826 Valencia.
- Familiarity with the Tenderloin neighborhood.
- Bilingual preferred: English and Arabic, Vietnamese, Spanish, or Tagalog
To apply, please send a résumé, cover letter, and relevant writing sample to email@example.com with the subject line Tenderloin Program Coordinator. The requirement of submitting a relevant writing sample is intentionally open-ended. Your writing sample should reflect strong writing skills and demonstrate some connection to the job responsibilities.
826 Valencia is an equal opportunity employer committed to achieving a diverse and inclusive workforce. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply. 826 Valencia does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, sexual orientation, political orientation, disability, veteran status, or gender identity or expression.