POSITION: Volunteer Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Volunteer Engagement
SUPERVISES: Interns, service learners (S.L.), high school students (H.S.), and a VISTA member
HOURS: 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., with some flexibility, evenings, and weekends as needed.
SALARY: $50,000-$60,000 depending on experience
TO APPLY: Please fill out this short application, as well as send a résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Volunteer Manager.
WHO WE ARE:
826 Valencia is an award winning nonprofit dedicated to supporting under-resourced students ages six to eighteen with their creative and expository writing skills and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our innovative and award-winning model has inspired over 40 like-minded organizations worldwide.
We offer a highly collaborative, bustling work environment full of passionate professionals who strive to create programs that transform our students’ relationships to writing, and to build an inclusive community that meets the needs and reflects the diverse backgrounds of our students.
Volunteers and interns are the lifeblood of 826 Valencia. The Volunteer Manager coordinates 826 Valencia’s internship and service learning programs, growing our pool of caring adults in the San Francisco Bay Area to provide individualized attention to our students and help them build the confidence, pride, skills, and creativity that will lead to future success. The Volunteer Manager recruits, hires, trains, places, and supports interns, high school students, and service learners so they develop professionally. Ultimately, the Volunteer Manager will inspire people to get involved, learn, and make a difference.
The Volunteer Manager will report to the Director of Volunteer Engagement and supervise a VISTA member.
- Develop and implement goals for the interns, high school students, and service learning volunteers which connect to the mission of the organization and meet program demands; measure progress toward these goals on an on-going basis to ensure that all programs are sufficiently staffed and intern/service learner/H.S. student volunteer satisfaction remains high.
- Recruit, screen, and onboard interns, H.S. and college students with a focus on diversifying the volunteer base; partner with the Director of Volunteer Engagement to facilitate orientations.
- Work with all staff to provide adequate onboarding and professional development opportunities to maximize effectiveness.
- Maintain the intern, H.S. student, service learner accounts in the Salesforce database; run reports as needed.
- Coordinate opportunities to build community and celebrate volunteers so that they feel appreciated and energized by our work, including planning and executing volunteer appreciation events.
- Initiate and steward partnerships with universities and other groups to increase our pool of interns, students, and service learners; work closely with the Director of Volunteer Engagement to manage partnerships with city/county programs, university professors, and intern providers.
- Solicit, accept, and evaluate service-learning proposals from university instructors with Program Managers; offer guidance & feedback to on related curriculum/826 impact.
- Create alternative online tools that allow tutors to access existing trainings.
- Recruit volunteers, interns, and staff to attend supplemental workshops, update communication channels in regards to outreach efforts, and track and update Salesforce (i.e. create jobs in Salesforce) for all trainings; support the creation of an online tool to access trainings.
- Attend staff meetings, the annual 826 National conference, and other professional development workshops.
- Meet all deadlines.
- Work collaboratively with all staff members to ensure robust programming.
- All other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in nonprofit management, human resources, and/or program development.
- 3-5 years of experience screening and placing employees, volunteers, or other transferable skills.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population and a variety of stakeholders and audiences; engage stakeholders in mutually beneficial and effective partnerships.
- Commitment to young people, their families, and the mission of 826 Valencia.
- Advanced organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks with excellent follow-through.
- Develops project and/or team-wide work plans with goals and interim milestones to manage resources, time, and people efficiently.
- Demonstrates problem-solving skills to overcome challenges and maximize limited resources.
- Excellent interpersonal skills—a cheerful attitude and a sense of humor is a must. Inspires team to collaborate across departments to accomplish goals.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively. Sets up strong collaboration structures and ensures roles and responsibilities are clear.
- Ability to monitor, analyze, consult, and report on programs and services to make strategic decisions and increase investment of stakeholders.
- Excellent command of English language and grammar, both verbal and written. Shares information and decisions with staff and managers in a transparent and timely manner.
- Identifies hiring needs and works with the team or with direction to cultivate a diverse pool of high-quality intern candidates.
- Proficient in computer applications—a thorough understanding of the Microsoft Office suite and the ability to learn and master other computer technology/software programs as needed (i.e. Salesforce experience preferred.)
- Experience with Salesforce, ExCel, and MailChimp.
826 Valencia is an equal opportunity employer committed to achieving a diverse and inclusive workforce. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply. 826 Valencia does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, sexual orientation, political orientation, disability, veteran status, or gender identity or expression. For more information, read the 826 Stand.