Buena Vista Horace Mann Programs Coordinator
Position BVHM Programs Coordinator Reports to BVHM Programs Manager Supervises Interns and Volunteers Status Non-exempt Hours 40 hrs. a week; schedule may vary from week to week, depending on programmatic needs Salary $45,000-50,000/year with full benefits To Apply To apply, please fill out this short application and submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com by July 6. Please write the position title in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed as they come in and the position is open until filled.
Who We Are
826 Valencia is an award-winning nonprofit dedicated to supporting under-resourced students ages six to eighteen with their creative and expository writing skills and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our innovative model has inspired more than 40 like-minded organizations world-wide. We offer a highly collaborative, hardworking, fun work environment full of passionate professionals who strive to create programs that transform our students’ relationships to writing, and build an inclusive community that meets the needs and reflects the diverse backgrounds of our students.
Position SummaryBuena Vista Horace Mann K-8 is a Spanish Immersion school just blocks away from our Mission Center. The ideal candidate is excited to work closely with school partners, parents, and students to provide high quality writing and tutoring programs on a school campus. The Programs Coordinator loves to teach, is energized by elementary aged students, and has a knack for understanding and being responsive to students’ needs. The Programs Coordinator builds relationships with students, families, volunteers and teachers in order to ensure our students build the confidence, pride, writing skills, and creativity that will lead to future success.
Reporting RelationshipsThe BVHM Programs Coordinator reports to the BVHM Programs Manager of 826 Valencia.
Major ResponsibilitiesIn close collaboration with the Programs Manager, the Program Coordinator will:
- Work closely with BVHM Programs team to serve as a tutor and project leader at BVHM; coordinates the after school program. Designs and/or implements writing curriculum and individualized supports.
- Determine program priorities and track progress towards goals/objectives; evaluate program effectiveness to develop improved methods for program delivery.
- Coordinate, monitor, and/or supervise the activities of assigned volunteers, interns, and team members; recruit, train, support, and celebrate volunteers so there is consistent and effective volunteer support.
- Support publications by curating and copy-editing student work and coordinating assigned publication timelines with design.
- Track student and volunteer data using Salesforce and the DCYF CMS system; support reporting as needed.
- Provide support to other 826 Valencia programs as needed.
- Maintain effective correspondence and communication (online and verbal) with all stakeholders, including students, volunteers, interns, 826 staff, and school staff.
- Communicate with parents/families via phone calls, email, and text regarding program, attendance, student progress/needs, etc. Support with student/parent outreach for 826 events such as the Storyteller's Showcase.
- Attend staff meetings, meet all deadlines, and assist in the evaluation of the program
- Attend National Conference and other professional development workshops/conferences/seminars, etc.
- Attend 826 Valencia evening functions (i.e. 826 Day, 100 Clubs, etc.)
- Work collaboratively with all staff members to ensure robust programming
- All other duties as assigned by the Executive Director and Site Supervisor
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience working directly with youth in a school setting
- Spanish fluency highly preferred
Required Skills and Abilities
- Advanced organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks. Develops individual work plans with goals and interim milestones to manage one’s own work, ensuring high-quality and timely delivery.
- Excellent command of English language and grammar; produces crisp, engaging and quality communications, both written and verbal. Openly and regularly communicates information about progress towards goals with BVHM Program Manager and team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Builds authentic relationships with colleagues across roles, teams, and identities, demonstrating curiosity about others’ backgrounds and perspectives.
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population and a variety of stakeholders and audiences. Seeks to embody 826 Valencia’s values around diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness. Supports the work of colleagues, engages meaningfully to provide input or partner when appropriate.
Working Conditions and EnvironmentThe BVHM Programs Coordinator position is headquartered at the 826 Valencia office at 826 Valencia Street, San Francisco, CA. The BVHM Programs Coordinator will frequently be off-site at BVHM, so must be able to travel to school site. 826 Valencia is an equal opportunity employer committed to achieving a diverse and inclusive workforce. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply. 826 Valencia does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, sexual orientation, political orientation, disability, veteran status, or gender identity or expression. For more information, read the 826 Stand. Apply