Communications Associate, AmeriCorps VISTA
Communications Associate, AmeriCorps VISTAReports to
One-year AmeriCorps service positionHours
40 hours/weekTo apply
About 826 Valencia
826 Valencia is a nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting under-resourced students ages six to eighteen with their creative and expository writing skills and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our services are structured around the understanding that great leaps in learning can happen with one-on-one attention and that strong writing skills are fundamental to future success.
As a member of the Advancement team, which combines communications and fundraising, the Communications Associate helps increase the visibility and awareness of our free writing programs in order to develop and deepen partnerships with with local schools, community organizations, donors, and volunteers. The 826 Valencia Communications Associate will support the development of a public relations media plan, develop content for presentations, social media, newsletters, events, and help develop print collateral to engage participants and volunteers. Our ideal candidate is passionate about the work we do and can capture our whimsical brand and amplify the voices of our youth through a variety of effective communications collateral and media.
- Update and maintain the content on 826 Valencia’s website, and help strategize ways to improve user experience and clarity of information.
- Implement social media campaigns and strategies for engaging our audience, cultivating donors, and recruiting volunteers.
- Promote 826 Valencia’s volunteer, philanthropic, and community engagement opportunities through targeted marketing strategies across a variety of platforms.
- Generate fresh and engaging content for 826 Valencia’s newsletters, social media platforms, and all external communications, in collaboration with teams across the organization.
- Research and recommend potential media partnerships that will connect with new audiences to support our free programs.
- Support Communications Manager with logistics of media coverage and other duties.
- Maintain an up-to-date press list and refine the organization’s outreach strategies to various media outlets.
- Use data to evaluate communications strategies and campaigns and improve their reach and effectiveness.
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Prior work or volunteer experience with public relations, communications, branding or building online presence a plus
Minimum Skills and Abilities
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population and a variety of stakeholders and audiences
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, flexible, able to work on a variety of projects
Preferred Skills and Abilities
- Google Suite
- Bilingual Spanish/English
- Familiarity with Salesforce
Working Conditions and Environment
The Communications Associate position is headquartered at 826 Valencia’s Tenderloin Center at 180 Golden Gate Avenue, San Francisco, CA.
Benefits and CompensationAmeriCorps Service Year Benefits through VISTA:
- $2,000 monthly living stipend
- Education Award of $6,095 granted upon completion of service and usable for college, trade school, or other educational expenses
- Americorps benefits include health benefits, childcare, travel, professional development. Learn more here.
- Transportation stipend provided by 826 Valencia