PositionCustodianReports toOperations ManagerBased out ofTenderloin Center at 180 Golden Gate Ave., San Francisco. Candidates must be located in or willing to relocate to the San Francisco Bay Area StatusNon-Exempt, HourlyHoursPart-time, approximately 10 hours per week, with some evenings and weekends as requiredSalary$20/hourTo ApplyFill out this short application and submit your résumé and cover letter to email@example.com by Friday, September 30. Please write “Custodian” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
826 Valencia is an award-winning nonprofit dedicated to supporting under-resourced students ages six to eighteen with their creative and expository writing skills, and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our innovative model has inspired more than 40 like-minded organizations world-wide. We offer a highly collaborative, hardworking, fun work environment full of passionate professionals who strive to create programs that transform our students’ relationships to writing, and build an inclusive community that meets the needs and reflects the diverse backgrounds of our students.
Who We Are
Position SummaryThe Custodian cares about keeping our spaces clean and organized so that students, staff, and volunteers have great spaces to work. The Custodian supports the work of the Operations Manager.
Reports to the Operations Manager.
- Collect and dispose of trash, break down boxes, manage recycling, take out and bring in trash bins
- Report any problems with facilities, equipment, or supplies to the Operations Manager
- Strictly follow 826 Valencia and CDC guidelines on health and safety in the workplace; use approved sanitizers, cleaning protocols, and personal protective equipment, sweep and mop floors, and vacuum carpets
- Wash and sanitize toilets, sinks, mirrors, and high-use areas, such as faucets, light switches, printers, door handles, etc.
- Move equipment and furniture for proper cleaning
- Secure facilities after operating hours by locking doors, closing windows, and setting up the alarm
- Receive deliveries when necessary
- Proactively raise issues with the Operations Manager to prioritize tasks and implement solutions
- Meet all deadlines and maintain accurate timesheets
- All other duties as assigned by the Executive Director and Operations Manager
- High School graduate or equivalent (preferred)
- Able to complete a background check and Tuberculosis screening. We will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records for employment, pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, but will not hire anyone with a record that includes a conviction of a serious or violent felony, sexual offense, or controlled substance offense
- Able to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination, including booster dose when eligible, or participate in an interactive process for accommodations. Able to follow COVID-19 health and safety guidelines while in our Writing Centers, schools, or at work events
- Physical stamina and dexterity
- Communicate project progress to manager and seek counsel when help is needed to complete goals
- Understand when and how to escalate issues through appropriate channels
- Communicate authentically and respectfully to resolve conflict, even across lines of difference
- Consistently update knowledge of the latest cleaning technologies and safety protocols
- Seek to embody 826's values around diversity, equity, and inclusion; exercise assets-based thinking about the communities in which 826 works
- Approach new ideas, changes in work, or challenges with a sense of possibility, openness, positivity, and solutions-based aptitude; open to seeking out feedback and opportunities to grow
- Actively build relationships and engage authentically with a variety of stakeholders
Working Conditions & TravelThe role necessarily involves moving and unpacking boxes, climbing a 6’+ ladder to clean or access inventory, and related activities. These can weigh anywhere from 20-60 lbs.
Compensation & Benefits
- $20 hourly wage, with a +$0.48 per hour language premium for employees who meet the criteria
- Wellness Leave and COVID-19 Supplemental Paid Sick Leave (available through December 31, 2022)
- Employee Assistance Program, group life insurance, commuter benefits
- 40% discount at all 826 Valencia stores