Human Resources Manager
Human Resources ManagerReports to
8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m., with weekends and evenings as requiredCompensation
$60,000-$75,000 annually (depending on experience) with full benefitsTo applyPlease fill out this short application and send your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 15. Please write the position name in the subject line.
Who We Are826 Valencia is an award-winning nonprofit dedicated to supporting under-resourced students ages six to eighteen with their creative and expository writing skills and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our innovative and award-winning model has inspired over 40 like-minded organizations worldwide. We offer a highly collaborative, bustling work environment full of passionate professionals who strive to create programs that transform our students’ relationships to writing, and to build an inclusive community that meets the needs and reflects the diverse backgrounds of our students.
Position SummaryThe most valuable asset of our organization is our incredible staff. The 826 Valencia Human Resources Manager will support our diverse staff so they feel included, valued, and effective in their work. The ideal candidate is an excellent trainer who loves to facilitate professional development for people at various points of their career. The ideal candidate also effectively builds systems for recruitment, hiring, onboarding, and retention.
Reporting RelationshipsReports to the Executive Director. Does not directly supervise any staff, but provides primary support to 14 AmeriCorps members.
- Serves as a liaison to Human Resources consultants, attorneys, and training specialists, and coordinates company use of insurance brokers, insurance carriers, and other outside sources
- Works with senior management to establish compliant and equitable Human Resources policies, programs, and practices; communicates policies effectively with all staff
- Provides ongoing competency training and effective support for different job levels in the organization, including AmeriCorps members, Coordinators, Managers, and Directors
- Manages the performance management system that includes individual development plans and 360 reviews related to job level competencies so that employees have a clear career trajectory; monitors and advises managers and supervisors in the progressive discipline system of the company; monitors the implementation of a performance improvement process with non-performing employees
- Builds recruiting and hiring practices and procedures necessary to recruit and hire a diverse and highly qualified staff; establishes effective onboarding procedures for all new staff, including benefits training
- Conducts investigations when employee complaints or concerns are brought forth and supports restorative solutions when possible
- Conducts salary benchmarking to support a fair, competitive, and sustainable salary
- Manages cost-effective, employee serving benefits; monitors national benefits environment for options and cost savings
- Manages organizational compliance for AmeriCorps partnerships and serves as the primary source of support for 14 AmeriCorps service members
- Supports organizational initiatives regarding diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Attend staff meetings, meet all deadlines.
- Attend National Conference and other professional development workshops, conferences, seminars, etc.
- All other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor of Arts, Masters in Nonprofit Administration preferred
- 5+ years of human resources experience
Required Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population and a variety of stakeholders and audiences; engage stakeholders in mutually beneficial and effective partnerships
- Advanced organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks with excellent follow-through
- Develops project and/or team-wide work plans with goals and interim milestones to manage resources, time and people efficiently
- Demonstrates problem solving skills to overcome challenges and maximize limited resources
- Excellent interpersonal skills—a cheerful attitude and a sense of humor is a must. Inspires team to collaborate across departments to accomplish goals.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively. Sets up strong collaboration structures and ensures roles and responsibilities are clear
- Excellent command of English language and grammar, both verbal and written. Shares information and decisions with staff and managers in a transparent and timely manner.
- Identifies hiring needs and works with team or with direction to cultivate a diverse pool of high quality candidates
- Develops and implements systems to effectively support managers in developing and demonstrating management skills; develops and implements accountability and coaching structures to support managers as they coach and develop their teams
- Models expectations for an inclusive environment where staff, volunteers, stakeholders and students from all backgrounds thrive
- Creates a culture of professional development, continuous feedback, and mutual support among staff within purview and in collaboration with other directors; provides a compelling career progression within the department and environment for growth and development; develops and implements systems to celebrate team accomplishments
Working Conditions and EnvironmentThe Human Resources Manager position is headquartered at the 826 Valencia Tenderloin Center office at 180 Golden Gate Ave, San Francisco, CA. The HR Manager will travel between all three of our centers.