Store AssociateReports to
Part-time; typically, two to four 7-hour shifts per weekSalary
Who we are
826 Valencia is an award-winning nonprofit dedicated to supporting under-resourced students ages six to eighteen with their creative and expository writing skills and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our co-founders, educator Nínive Calegari and author Dave Eggers, won the Jefferson Award in 2016 based on the model they developed, and our work has inspired over forty like-minded organizations worldwide. 826 Valencia is a highly collaborative, bustling work environment full of passionate professionals who strive to create programs that transform our students’ relationships to writing, and to build an inclusive community that meets the needs and reflects the diverse backgrounds of our students.
826 Valencia is seeking adventurous crew members to greet and welcome all who seek premium exploring supplies and/or tutoring and writing services. Under the direction of the Commodore (Stores Director) and Captain (Stores Manager), store associates work to provide a transformative, memorable experience to a diverse population of community members and travelers alike. To excel aboard the S.S. 826, one must possess excellent humor and grace in balancing simultaneous demands, such as scowling at customers while applying temporary tattoos (or removing them). In addition, the 826 Valencia deckhands serve as the front-of-house reception for the organization as a whole, and as such are expected to maintain a professional demeanor (i.e. regular beard maintenance and scurvy prevention) and stay reasonably informed of organizational events and services in order to field inquiries and requests from all. Store associates greet everyone warmly and engage anyone who enters our storefronts as a potential parent, student, volunteer, donor, or advocate for 826 Valencia.
All Store Associates report to the Stores Manager.Major Responsibilities
- Customer service and outreach: creates a welcoming and engaging experience for all individuals, especially the families we serve.
- Provides knowledgeable and helpful service to patrons seeking information about our programs and inventory; knows how to best refer individuals seeking further information.
- Manages register; handles till and receipts.
- Maintains and processes store inventory including daily stocking and quarterly counts.
- Maintains health of the fish tank in the Pirate Store—immediately reports any problems to Aquavision and Stores Manager.
- Reports any problems with store facilities, equipment, or customer service issue to Store Lead and Stores Manager.
- Other duties as assigned by the Stores Manager or Director. Duties can include:
- Developing new designs for products and displays
- Social media management
- On-site event and off-site pop-up sales support
- Processing phone, online, and special orders
- Cash Management and safety for all store cash receipts
- Attend monthly store team meetings.
- Opportunities for specialization and growth in inventory management, design, and store systems management.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Experience in retail, customer service and/or visual merchandising
- Creative experience could include, but is not limited to: Adobe Creative Suite, window display installation, power drill/tools and fix-it skills, product development, and event management
- Preferred: Conversational Spanish, Mandarin, Arabic, Tagalog, or other languages
- Weekend and holiday availability/flexibility
- Develops individual work plans with goals and interim milestones to manage one's own work, ensuring high-quality work and timely delivery
- Communicates project progress to manager and seeks counsel when help is needed to execute on goals
- Understands how various roles, responsibilities, and players, both internal and external, contribute to the mission of the organization
- Produces crisp, engaging, and quality communications, both written and verbal
- Understands when and how to escalate issues through appropriate channels
- Communicates authentically and respectfully to resolve conflict, even across lines of difference
- Seeks to embody 826's values around diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Exercises assets-based thinking about the communities in which 826 works
- Approaches new ideas, changes in work, or challenges with a sense of possibility, openness, positivity, and solutions-based aptitude
- Is open to seek out feedback and opportunities to grow
- Actively builds relationships and engages authentically with a variety of stakeholders
- Values and prioritizes unparalleled service to students, such that stakeholders desire ongoing engagement with 826
- Associates with primarily be based out of one of our three centers but should be comfortable working in any of our locations, as well as off-site.
- Store associates will be standing to greet customers but have a chair available.
- The role necessarily involves moving and unpacking boxes, transporting items between centers and to outreach events, and related activities.