Volunteer Engagement Associate, AmeriCorps VISTA
Position Volunteer Engagement Associate Reports to Kavitha Lotun, Director of Volunteer Engagement Based at Mission Center, 826 Valencia St., San Francisco, with travel to all 826 writing centers and schools Status One-year AmeriCorps service position, through VISTA Hours Full-time (40 hours/week), Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. through 5 p.m., with some evening or weekend hours To Apply Please fill out this short application and email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please write the position title in the subject line.
The Volunteer Engagement Associate inspires community members to get involved and make a difference with our youth, particularly by recruiting new volunteer tutors. The Volunteer Engagement Associate attends recruitment events to raise awareness of our programs and their impact, and gets potential volunteers excited to help. The Volunteer Engagement Associate assists with all training and orientation of prospective volunteers so they are well-equipped to be the best tutors and role models possible. The ideal candidate is also adept at data tracking and data mining, able to develop systems that enhance our services.
Who We Are826 Valencia is an award-winning nonprofit dedicated to supporting under-resourced students ages six to eighteen with their creative and expository writing skills and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our innovative model has inspired more than 40 like-minded organizations world-wide. We offer a highly collaborative, hardworking, fun work environment full of passionate professionals who strive to create programs that transform our students’ relationships to writing, and build an inclusive community that meets the needs and reflects the diverse backgrounds of our students.
Major ResponsibilitiesVolunteer Recruitment
- Establish or expand the volunteer pool by designing and distributing flyers, attending all tabling and outreach events, as part of an effort to onboard 30 to 40 new volunteers each month.
- Monitor the volunteer application system and general inquiries email inbox and respond daily. Connect and engage with 826 Valencia’s volunteer community in person and through social media, printed collateral, and email and phone communications, so they reliably sign up for shifts and can be a consistent source of support in students’ lives.
- Initiate and steward relationships with neighborhood-based community partners, in order to build good will for future collaboration and in-kind donations.
- Develop and launch specialized recruitment campaigns to attract volunteers who live or work in the Mission Bay neighborhood, including but not limited to people who speak Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Tagalog and/or Vietnamese, and/or reflect the 826 Valencia student population in other ways.
- Support all orientation training events for new volunteers to clarify their role and make their continued engagement more likely. This includes emailing invitations to newly-registered volunteers, developing and producing slides and materials, and presenting and facilitating.
- Maintain and build upon 826 Valencia’s volunteer resource webpage, so volunteers can effectively tutor students, follow 826 Valencia policies and processes, and escalate situations to the attention of 826 Valencia staff as needed.
- Support input and tracking of data related to volunteers and college service-learning projects using Salesforce, to help the organization and other stakeholders recognize the need for volunteers and their impact.
- Maintain and enhance systems for analyzing data from volunteer questionnaires, especially related to demographics and feedback on cultural competence training.
- Actively participate in 826 Valencia meetings, on various teams and committees, and other work events, to develop their professional skills and gain a well-rounded experience of non-profit work.
- Other duties as assigned, to support the success of the Volunteer Engagement Team and create a positive experience for volunteers.
RequirementsYou’ll be Successful in This Role If You…
- Earned a high school diploma or equivalent
- Have prior work or volunteer experience with outreach, volunteers or non-profit organizations
- Possess strong organizational skills and are adaptable; you are able to handle multiple tasks and contribute to a variety of projects at once
- Have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Are able to work with a culturally-diverse student population and staff, and have a track record of communicating authentically and respectfully to resolve conflict, even across lines of difference
- Have excellent interpersonal skills, are team-oriented, and are able to work with a variety stakeholders and audiences, and can leverage the right people and resources to achieve outcomes
- Are able to convey the whimsical brand of 826 Valencia, and can amplify the voices of 826 Valencia students through a variety of communications collateral and media
- Are skilled at Google Suite, particularly Gmail and Google Sheets Able to manage your own work, ensuring high quality and timely delivery, and can adjust work accordingly to incorporate others’ perspectives
- Openly and regularly communicate information about progress toward goals with your supervisor and team, and can contribute to a culture of giving and receiving input
- Demonstrate awareness of your own feelings, thoughts and behaviors, and their impact on others, and seek to understand your strengths and limitations
- Are able to complete a background check and tuberculosis screening
- Earned a bachelor’s degree
- Are proficient with Google Suite applications, Microsoft Office programs, and/or Salesforce CRM
- Possess any fluency level in spoken and/or written Spanish, Chinese, Arabic, Tagalog, and/or Vietnamese
Benefits & Compensation through the VISTA
- $1,916.32 monthly living stipend (actual amount for 2020-2021 to be confirmed in July)
- $6,095 Education Award OR $1,800 stipend granted upon completing a year of service, to be used on college, trade school, or other educational expenses
- Settling-in allowance of $750 for members moving 50 miles or more from their home to the San Francisco Bay Area
- Forbearance on most existing student loans, so you do not have to make any repayments while in service
- Healthcare allowance or enrollment in health insurance coverage for eligible members
- Subsidized childcare for eligible members
Additional Perks from 826 Valencia
- Possible additional monthly stipend from 826 Valencia (budget permitting)
- Support determining eligibility and applying for public benefits such as CalFresh and Medi-Cal, and support searching for a job starting in Spring 2021
- Reimbursement for local work-related travel expenses, such as between writing centers and school sites 30-percent discount on any purchases at the three 826 Valencia stores: King Carl’s Emporium, Pirate Supply Store, and Woodland Creatures Outfitters
- Occasional opportunities, such as free tickets to the Opera or a Giants game
- AmeriCorps associates who wish to enroll their children in our programs may do so, as long as said participation does not displace our focal program participants
To ApplyComplete this short online application, and email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the position title in the subject line. Candidates are encouraged to apply early, since we review applications on a rolling basis. Open until filled. 826 Valencia is committed to achieving a diverse and inclusive workforce. Black, Indigenous and other people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. 826 Valencia does not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, age, religion, sexual orientation, political orientation, disability, veteran status, or gender identity or expression. Apply