We’re hiring a Development and Annual Fund Coordinator
POSITION: Development and Annual Fund Coordinator
REPORTS TO: Director of Advancement
HOURS: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (with evenings and weekends as required)
SALARY: $40,000-$50,000 plus benefits
TO APPLY: Please send your resume, a cover letter, and a relevant writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development and Annual Fund Coordinator” in the subject line. Deadline is January 11, but applications will be accepted until role is filled.
ABOUT 826 VALENCIA
826 Valencia is an award-winning nonprofit dedicated to supporting under-resourced students ages six to eighteen with their creative and expository writing skills and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our innovative and award-winning model has inspired over 40 like-minded organizations worldwide.
We offer a highly collaborative, bustling and creative work environment full of passionate professionals who strive to create programs that transform our students’ relationships to writing, and to build an inclusive community that meets the needs and reflects the diverse backgrounds of our community, staff, and students.
The Development and Annual Fund Coordinator is a central role in our high-performing and vibrant Development team. As the heart of Development operations, this position will collaborate on and participate in a range of fundraising activities. Core job duties include ensuring prompt, accurate and inspiring donor stewardship, preserving the accuracy and integrity of the department’s database, and special events support.
In addition to the above supporting roles, this position will build out the Annual Fund Program, including strategy and execution for targeted direct mail appeals (renewals, upgrades, and acquisition 1-2 times annually), email appeals, online giving, stewardship and targeted strategies for increased giving, based on industry best practices.
The Development and Annual Fund Coordinator reports to the Director of Advancement.
- Provide administrative support across the department to support the fundraising goals of the organization. Maintain the shared calendars, donor tracking, and organizational systems of the Development office.
- Coordinate and execute the gift stewardship process, working with the fundraising team to ensure that gifts are acknowledged with speed, accuracy, and inspiration.
- Coordinate the in-kind donation process, and assist the staff in onboarding and training related to the in-kind tracking system.
- Oversee the Salesforce database/software, ensure the accuracy of donor records, and best practices to track and report results. Train and guide the Development Associate AmeriCorps VISTA to use this tool.
- Maintain the Salesforce User Guide.
- Coordinate execution and logistics of special events including the annual Bookeaters’ Bash as well as administration/logistics for other (smaller) development and cultivation events.
Annual Fund Responsibilities
- Develop and implement strategies for best practice annual-fund donor acquisition, renewal/upgrades, and stewardship.
- Collaborate with advancement, communications, and design staff to conceptualize, design, and write Annual Fund campaign and materials.
- Coordinate the execution of Annual Fund, including direct mail/email/social media appeals, monthly donors and online giving strategies, and ongoing cultivation and stewardship. Implementation of Annual Fund communications plan and timing, in collaboration with the communications team.
- Track and report on results of appeals and special campaigns, adjusting strategies as needed.
- Build donor relationships with small annual and monthly donors, providing needed cultivation, stewardship and opportunities to make more substantial gifts over time.
- Join the Advancement team in promoting a culture of philanthropy organization-wide.
- Orient, train, and provide task-specific supervision to the Development Associate AmeriCorps VISTA.
- Participate in all staff meetings, attend the 826 National Conference and other professional development workshops/conferences/seminars, etc.
- Collaborate with and support the Executive Director, Director of Institutional Gifts, and Director of Individual Philanthropy, as needed.
- Represent 826 Valencia at community fairs, special events, and partner venues, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent field experience.
- At least two years of experience in nonprofit fundraising work, including direct work in annual campaign fundraising.
- Experience with donor management software, Salesforce preferred.
- Understand how various roles, responsibilities and players, both internal and external, contribute to the mission of the organization.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
- Approaches new ideas or challenges with a sense of possibility, openness, and positivity.
- Produces crisp, engaging, and quality communications, both written and verbal.
- Openly and regularly communicates information about progress towards goals with supervisor and team.
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Builds authentic relationships with colleagues across roles, teams, and identities, demonstrating curiosity about others’ backgrounds and perspectives.
- A team player who expresses genuine interest in the team’s well-being, and proactively models organizational customs, beliefs, and values.
- Ability to work with a culturally diverse population and a variety of stakeholders and audiences. Seeks to embody 826 Valencia’s values around diversity, equity, and inclusion.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ORGANIZATIONAL COMPETENCIES
WORKING CONDITIONS AND ENVIRONMENT
This full-time position is located at the 826 Valencia Tenderloin Center at 180 Golden Gate Avenue, San Francisco, CA. The Development Coordinator must be able to travel in the San Francisco Bay Area between 826 Valencia locations, to meetings at funders’ offices, to the 826 National office and to other locations, such as schools where 826 Valencia operates.
826 Valencia hires without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law. All are encouraged to apply. Read the full 826 Stand here.