We’re hiring a Store Staff Team Member
POSITION: Store Staff
REPORTS TO: Stores Manager
SUPERVISES: Volunteers, interns
STATUS: Part-time hourly
HOURS: typically 2-4 shifts/week
Pirate Store 11:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.
King Carl’s Emporium 11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Mission Bay Store coming early 2019!
SALARY: Minimum wage
TO APPLY: Please, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘‘Store Staff Team Member” in the subject
826 Valencia is seeking adventurous crew members to greet and welcome all who seek premium exploring supplies and/or tutoring and writing services. Under the direction of the Commodore (Stores Director) and Captain (Stores Manager), store staff work to provide a transformative, memorable experience to a diverse population of community members and travelers alike. To excel aboard the S.S. 826, one must possess excellent humor and grace in balancing simultaneous demands, such as scowling at customers while applying temporary tattoos (or removing them).
In addition, the 826 Valencia deckhands serve as the front-of-house reception for the organization as a whole, and as such are expected to maintain a professional demeanor (i.e. regular beard maintenance and scurvy prevention) and stay reasonably informed of organizational events and services in order to field inquiries and requests from all. Store staff greet everyone warmly and engage anyone who enters our storefronts as a potential parent, student, volunteer, donor, or advocate for 826 Valencia.
We are especially interested in staff with holiday availability for the Pirate Supply Store on Valencia Street. We are also seeking the founding team for our new store, Woodland Creature Outfitters, Ltd., opening early 2019 to serve both the Mission Bay and the enchanted forest. Opportunities for specialization and growth in inventory management, design, and store systems management.
- Customer service and outreach: creates a welcoming and engaging experience for all individuals, especially the families we serve.
- Provides knowledgeable and helpful service to patrons seeking information about our programs and work; knows how to best refer individuals seeking further information.
- Manages register; handles till and receipts.
- Maintains and processes store inventory including daily stocking and quarterly counts.
- Maintains health of the fish tank—immediately reports any problems to Aquavision and Stores Manager.
- Reports any problems with store facilities, equipment, or customer service issue to Store Lead and Stores Manager.
- Other duties as assigned by the Stores Manager or Director. Duties can include:
- Developing new designs for products and displays
- Social media management
- On-site event and off-site pop-up sales support
- Processing phone, online, and special orders
- Cash Management and safety for all store cash receipts
- Attend staff meetings as schedule allows
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Experience in retail, customer service and/or visual merchandising
- Creative experience could include, but is not limited to: Adobe Creative Suite, window display installation, power drill/tools and fix-it skills, product development, and event management
- Preferred: Conversational Spanish, Mandarin, Arabic, Tagalog, or other languages
- Weekend and holiday availability/flexibility
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Develops individual work plans with goals and interim milestones to manage one’s own work, ensuring high-quality work and timely delivery
- Communicates project progress to manager and seeks counsel when help is needed to execute on goals
- Understands how various roles, responsibilities, and players, both internal and external, contribute to the mission of the organization
- Produces crisp, engaging, and quality communications, both written and verbal
- Understands when and how to escalate issues through appropriate channels
- Communicates authentically and respectfully to resolve conflict, even across lines of difference
- Seeks to embody 826’s values around diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Exercises assets-based thinking about the communities in which 826 works
- Approaches new ideas, changes in work, or challenges with a sense of possibility, openness, positivity, and solutions-based aptitude
- Is open to seek out feedback and opportunities to grow
- Actively builds relationships and engages authentically with a variety of stakeholders
- Values and prioritizes unparalleled service to students, such that stakeholders desire ongoing engagement with 826
WORKING CONDITIONS AND TRAVEL
- Staff with primarily be based out of one of our three centers but should be comfortable working in any of our locations, as well as off-site.
- Store staff will be standing to greet customers but have a chair available.
- The role necessarily involves moving and unpacking boxes, transporting items between centers and to outreach events, and related activities.