We’re hiring a Human Resources Director
POSITION: Human Resources Director
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
SUPERVISES: Operations Manager
HOURS: 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (with weekends and evenings as required)
COMPENSATION: $70,000 – $90,000 annually (depending on experience) with full benefits
TO APPLY: Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with Human Resources Director in the subject line. Please also fill out this short application. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis, open until filled.
WHO WE ARE
826 Valencia is an award-winning nonprofit dedicated to supporting under-resourced students ages six to eighteen with their creative and expository writing skills and to helping teachers inspire their students to write. Our innovative and award-winning model has inspired over 40 like-minded organizations worldwide.
We offer a highly collaborative, bustling work environment full of passionate professionals who strive to create programs that transform our students’ relationships to writing, and to build an inclusive community that meets the needs and reflects the diverse backgrounds of our students.
The most valuable asset of our organization is our incredible staff. The 826 Valencia Human Resources Director will lead the organization in best practices to support our diverse staff so they feel included, valued, and effective in their work. The Human Resources Director will support the Operations Manager and work collaboratively to ensure that our facilities are sound and that the staff get what they need to do their jobs well.
Reports to the Executive Director. Directly supervises Operations Manager.
- Supports the Operations Manager in facilities management, supply ordering, HR benefits administration, and more.
- Work with department heads to develop an employee-oriented company culture that lives out our organization’s core values.
- Selects and supervises Human Resources consultants, attorneys, and training specialists, and coordinates company use of insurance brokers, insurance carriers, and other outside sources.
- Works with lawyers and senior management to establish compliant and equitable Human Resources policies, programs, and practices; communicates policies effectively with all staff.
- Provides ongoing training and effective support for different job levels in the organization, including AmeriCorpsmembers, Coordinators, People Managers, and Directors.
- Leads the implementation of the performance management system that includes individual development plans and 360 reviews related to job level competencies; monitors and advises managers and supervisors in the progressive discipline system of the company; monitors the implementation of a performance improvement process with non-performing employees.
- Leads recruiting and hiring practices and procedures necessary to recruit and hire a diverse and highly qualified staff; establishes effective onboarding procedures for all new staff.
- Conducts investigations when employee complaints or concerns are brought forth and supports restorative solutions when possible.
- Establishes a fair, competitive, and sustainable salary structure that helps to recruit and retain superior staff.
- Obtains cost-effective, employee serving benefits; monitors national benefits environment for options and cost savings.
- With the Operations Manager, leads the development of benefit orientations and other benefit training.
- Uphold organizational compliance with AmeriCorps partnerships.
- Attend staff meetings, meet all deadlines.
- Attend the 826 National Conference and other professional development workshops, conferences, seminars, etc.
- Participate as part of the organization’s leadership team in the development and management of the strategic direction for the 826 Valencia organization, and integrate the team’s work to support the organizational vision and mission
- All other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 10+ years human resources and senior management experience
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Designs enduring, scalable, and codified systems that enable staff success and achieve results within department while maximizing resources
- Ensures day-to-day operations within purview are having maximum impact toward organizational strategy; makes sound and culturally competent decisions that drive the organization forward and marshals the appropriate resources to execute
- Drives and participates in decisions to refine 826’s values, strategy and approach based on community context and input; communicates connections and implications of work/decisions across the organization
- Develops and implements systems to effectively support managers in developing and demonstrating management skills; develops and implements accountability and coaching structures to support managers as they coach and develop their teams
- Develops and implements systems to take down silos within and across departments, creating formal/informal structures for cross-department collaboration that leverages differences and inspires trust among members
- Models expectations for an inclusive environment where staff, volunteers, stakeholders and students from all backgrounds thrive
- Demonstrates highly developed awareness of how one’s leadership and behaviors directly and indirectly impact others; anticipates and understands implications
- Creates a culture of professional development, continuous feedback, and mutual support among staff within purview and in collaboration with other directors; provides a compelling career progression within the department and environment for growth and development; develops and implements systems to celebrate team accomplishments
826 Valencia hires without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristics protected by law. All are encouraged to apply. Read the full 826 Stand here.