Meet Debra Asher, our November Volunteer of the Month
Our November Volunteer of the Month Debra Asher has been involved in our After-School Program at BVHM for three years, and we are so grateful for her continued commitment to these students and her immense tutoring chops! As our programs staff said, “With her consistent presence and genuine interest in students’ progress, she has built strong relationships with students at the BVHM After-School Program.” Read on to discover more about how Debra spends her free time, and why she has a special place in her heart for BVHM.
1. What is one of your favorite moments (memories, experiences or anecdotes!) from volunteering with 826 Valencia?
When I was walking in the Mission District one day, and I heard my name being called. It was one of the students in BVHM’s 826 Valencia program walking with her parent, and she gave me a great hello and smile.
2. What led you to become part of our volunteer community?
I have always admired the work of 826 Valencia. I retired 3 years ago and wanted to do some volunteer work with young people in my neighborhood. When I heard 826 had a program at BVHM, I was particularly thrilled, since both my grown children attended Buena Vista Elementary School (before it was a K-8) and it was so close to my heart and home.
3. Given a choice of the three, which would you choose: pirates, pufferfish, or woodland creatures? Why?
I guess woodland creatures because I enjoy hiking in the woods.
4. What would we find you doing when not you’re not volunteering at 826?
Hiking in urban and nearby green spaces, exercising at the gym, going to see films, cooking, sharing meals and conversations with friends, and reading a lot of library books.
5. What is a piece of advice you would give a new 826 volunteer?
Be patient, be yourself, develop relationships with the students, and show up!