We’re excited that you want to intern with 826 Valencia! As an intern, you’ll work directly with students and teachers, exercise your writing and editing skills, and gain valuable experience in the many aspects of educational programming, nonprofit administration, and publishing.
In the educational programs track, you will grow your skills as an educator and provide consistent, culturally-responsive support to youth from under-resourced communities. You will focus on tutoring students in small groups as well as assisting staff in administrative tasks for program management.
We are committed to fostering an environment of diversity, equity, inclusion, and we encourage Black, Indigenous, and people of color to apply. To better support our student population, we are seeking applicants with Spanish and Arabic language skills.
We’re currently seeking interns for the 2023-2024 school year, which runs from August 21, 2023 through May 31, 2024. (Note: There will also be a one-week break during both Fall and Spring semesters, and a Winter break from December 22-January 7). Applicants must have graduated from high school to be considered for an internship with 826 Valencia. If you are currently a junior or senior in high school and are looking to volunteer with us, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
About our Educational Programs Internship:
Our Educational Programs interns support our student programs in a variety of ways, including tutoring students 1:1 and in small groups, helping prepare our students’ work for publication through editing and copyediting, and assisting our staff in the ins and outs of program management and supporting volunteers.
Please fill out this online application form, and send a current resume that reflects any relevant experiences and skills, along with two professional references (contact information only, no reference letters required) to email@example.com.
The deadline to apply is Sunday, August 6 at 11:59pm PST. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until all positions are filled. For more information, visit https://826valencia.org/internships or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We have limited stipends available and prioritize those with financial need, current or returning 826 Valencia interns, and 826 Valencia student alumni. Applicants must commit to the full school year timeline for stipend consideration. Stipends will be paid in installments of $700-$1400 per month, depending on weekly hour commitment. If you are receiving college course credit, you will not be eligible for a stipend as stated in compensation laws.
- Minimum commitment of 10-20 hours per week
- Ability to regularly commute to San Francisco (Mission, Mission Bay, and/or Tenderloin neighborhoods)
- Required schedule of weekdays between 8am - 2pm to serve In-School Programs and Field Trips and/or 2pm - 8pm to work with After-School Programs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (editing/proofreading experience is a plus)
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, as well as our mission of supporting youth ages 6-18 with their creative and expository writing skills
- Teaching/tutoring experience with youth in a professional setting preferred
- Spanish, Arabic, Mandarin, and/or Cantonese language skills are desirable
- Proficiency with Google Suite and Zoom preferred
- Background check, TB Risk Assessment, & record of COVID-19 vaccination (required upon position acceptance)
Note: We are not currently hiring Design interns. Check back here for future opportunities!
Design interns will work closely with our Design team to create event branding, marketing materials, publications of student writing, and more. By the end of the internship, designers will have gained skills in the design process, print production, professional development, and insight into nonprofit work environments. Internships in the Design department come with stipends.
- 24+ hours per week commitment
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud (or previous CS): InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop required
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Word programs
- Knowledge of web-based software is a plus (HTML/CSS, MailChimp)